Previous: A-40: Visual Aids
A-41. Military aspects of terrain OAKOC are used to analyze the ground. The sequence can vary. The leader determines the effects of each aspect of terrain on both friendly and enemy forces. These effects translate directly into conclusions applying to friendly or enemy COA. Even if time is tight, the leader should allocate as much time as possible to factor, starting at the objective area, and analyzing other aspects of key terrain. Terrain and weather are the most important aspects. Conclusions include at least the following:
- Template of enemy forces and essential weapon systems.
- Positioning of own assets.
- Understanding of time and space relationships of events, leading to thorough contingency plans.
- Echeloning and identifying of enemy observation and indirect fires.
- Selecting of movement techniques and formations, to include when to transition to tactical maneuver.
Next: A-42: Obstacles