Previous: D-25: Occupying the Observation Post
D-26. At least two Soldiers are required to operate an observation post. One man establishing security, recording information, and reporting to higher while the other observes. These men switch jobs every 20 to 30 minutes because the observer’s efficiency decreases with time. Three or more Soldiers are required to increase security. For extended periods (12 hours or more), the unit occupies long-duration observation post by squad-sized units. Essential equipment of the observation post includes the following:
- Map of the area.
- Communications equipment.
- Observation devices (binoculars, observation telescope, thermal sights, and night vision devices).
- Automated net control device essential information.
- Report formats contained in the SOP.
- Protective obstacles and early warning devices.
- Camouflage, cover and concealment, and deception equipment as required.