Previous: E-5: Mobility
E-6. The following is a list of the primary firepower functions combat vehicles provide an Infantry platoon or squad during combat operations:
- Speed and shock effect to assist the Infantry in rapidly executing an assault.
- Lethal and accurate direct fire support.
- Suppression of identified sniper positions.
- Heavy volume of suppressive fires and a mobile base of fire of the Infantry.
- Employment of technical assets (thermal viewers and range finders) to assist in target acquisition and ranging.
- Neutralization or suppression of enemy positions with direct fire as Infantry closes with and destroys the enemy.
- Assaults by fire other targets designated by the Infantry.
- Accurate direct fires even while the vehicle is moving at high speeds with stabilized gun systems.
- Destruction of enemy tanks and armored personnel carriers.
Next: E-7: Protection