Previous: 1-61: Squad-Designated Marksman
1-64. The gunner is normally the senior member of the medium machine gun team. During operations, the gunner—
- Is responsible for his assistant gunner and all the gun equipment.
- Is responsible for putting the gun in and out of action.
- Is the subject matter expert for information contained in FM 3-22.68.
- When attached to a rifle squad, is the subject matter expert for employment of the medium machine gun, and advises the rifle squad leader of the best way to employ the medium machine gun.
- Enforces field discipline while the gun team is employed tactically.
- Knows the ballistic effects of the weapon on all types of targets.
- Assists the weapons squad leader and is prepared to assume his responsibilities.
- Understands the mission two levels up (squad and platoon).
Next: 1-65: Assistant Machine Gunner
Go Back To: U.S. Army FM 3-21.8: The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad