Previous: 1-82: Mounted Element
1-83. Three, nine-man rifle squads make up the platoon’s dismounted element. The rifle squads are organized as follows:
- The rifle squad has two, four-man fire teams and a squad leader.
- Each fire team is comprised of a —
- Fire team leader.
- Squad automatic weapon (SAW) gunner.
- One of the riflemen in the fire team is designated and trained as the antiarmor
- specialist and fires the Javelin close combat munitions.
- The other rifleman in the squad is the squad’s designated marksman.
1-84. Based on the mission, the squad can carry the Javelin command launch unit and missiles as well as an M240B medium machine gun.
Next: 1-85: Responsibilities
Go Back To: U.S. Army FM 3-21.8: The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad