Previous: 3-18: Forms of Defensive Maneuver
3-19. Defense in-depth reduces the risk of the attacking enemy quickly penetrating the defense. The enemy is unable to exploit a penetration because of additional defensive positions employed in-depth. (See figure 3-1.) The in-depth defense provides more space and time to defeat the enemy attack.
3-20. The Infantry platoon uses a defense in-depth when—
- The mission allows the Infantry platoon to fight throughout the depth of the areas of operations.
- The terrain does not favor a defense well forward, and better defensible terrain is available deeper in the areas of operations.
- Sufficient depth is available in the areas operations.
- Cover and concealment forward in the areas of operations is limited.
- Weapons of mass destruction may be used.
Next: 3-21: Forward Defense