Previous: 3-86: Squad Leaders
3-87. The FO—
- Assists the platoon leader in planning the indirect fires to support defensive missions.
- Advises the platoon leader on the status of all firing units, and on the use of obscurants or illumination.
- Coordinates with the Infantry company fire support officer, firing units, and squad leaders to ensure the fire plan is synchronized and fully understood.
- Ensures the indirect fire plan is rehearsed and understood by all.
- Ensures all final protective fires are adjusted as soon as possible.
- Develops an observation plan.
- Coordinates and rehearses all repositioning of observers within the platoon area of operations to ensure they can observe targets or areas of responsibility.
- Develops triggers.
- Reports information collection activities.
- Ensures redundancy in communications.