View the complete version here: www.amazon.com/dp/1533408491
Previous: 3-176: Plan and Integrate Obstacles
3-177. The following steps apply in selecting and improving battle positions and
emplacing the Infantry platoon and squad vehicles, crew-served weapon systems, (see figure 3-23, page 3-60) and dismounted Infantry positions:
- Select tentative platoon/squad battle positions.
Note. When possible, select battle positions while moving in the engagement area. Using the enemy’s perspective enables the Infantry leader to assess survivability of positions.
- Conduct a leader’s reconnaissance of the tentative battle positions.
- Drive the engagement area to confirm selected positions are tactically advantageous.
- Confirm and mark the selected battle positions.
- Ensure battle positions do not conflict with those of adjacent units and are tied in with adjacent positions.
- Select primary, alternate, and supplementary fighting positions to achieve the desired effect for each target registration point.
- Ensure platoon sergeants, vehicle commanders, or dismounted Infantry squad leaders position weapon systems so each target registration point is covered by the required number of weapons, vehicles, and squads.
- Ensure positions allow vehicle commanders, loaders, and gunners (as applicable for each vehicle or weapons system) to observe the engagement area and engage enemy forces from the hull down position.
- Stake vehicle or weapons system positions according to unit SOPs so engineers can dig in the positions while vehicle crews perform other tasks.
- Confirm all vehicle or weapons system positions.
Next: 3-178: Emplace Weapon Systems
Go Back To: U.S. Army FM 3-21.8: The Infantry Rifle Platoon and Squad