Previous: 6-41: Planning Considerations
6-42. The following security measures should be taken into consideration as a minimum:
- Select terrain the enemy probably would consider of little tactical value.
- Select terrain off main lines of drift.
- Select difficult terrain impeding foot movement, such as an area of dense vegetation, preferably bushes and trees spreading close to the ground.
- Select terrain near a source of water.
- Select terrain defendable for a short period and offers good cover and concealment.
- Avoid known or suspected enemy positions.
- Avoid built up areas.
- Avoid ridges and hilltops, except as needed for maintaining communications.
- Avoid small valleys.
- Avoid roads and trails.
Next: 6-43: Occupation