Previous: Section I: Overview
6-4. There are several specific purposes which can be accomplished by patrolling—
- Gathering information on the enemy, on the terrain, or on the populace.
- Regaining contact with the enemy or with adjacent friendly forces.
- Engaging the enemy in combat to destroy him or inflict losses.
- Reassuring or gaining the trust of a local population.
- Preventing public disorder.
- Deterring and disrupting insurgent or criminal activity.
- Providing unit security.
- Protecting essential infrastructure or bases.